Located in the historic Delaware River region, the property’s early history includes farming and residential land uses. The land was once owned by William Penn, and served as a residence and farm from the late 1680s to the late 1800s. Ellierslie Mansion, built on-site in early 1800s, was leased by F. Scott Fitzgerald in the 1920s. The mansion was demolished in the 1970s. A barn, built around 1821, remains on the property today.
The property has a long history of industrial use dating back to the late 1800s. Edgemoor Iron Company, manufacturer of railroad and highway bridges, was the first recorded industrial user of the property. Landmark rail and bridge infrastructures, including the suspension super-structure of the Brooklyn Bridge, were reportedly built on the site.
In the 1930s, the property was purchased by an entity which later became a subsidiary of DuPont. Titanium dioxide has been manufactured on the site for nearly eight decades. Today, the property is owned by Chemours, a successor company of DuPont.